I’ve Been Served with Divorce Papers. Now What?

You just got served with Illinois divorce papers or a child custody action. So now what? Whether or not you suspected this might happen, once you’ve been served there is no time to waste.

First of all, do not ignore the fact that you have been served. Be forewarned. If you have been served with a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage or a Petition for Allocation of Parental Responsibilities you only have so much time to alert the court that you intend to be involved in the legal proceedings. The way you do this by filing your “appearance” in the matter which means filing and Answering the Petition for Dissolution (or Petition for Allocation of Parental Responsibilities

It’s important to understand that once you have notice of the action, the filing party can usually move forward without your involvement even if you fail to file your appearance in the matter.

How Do Family Law Court Proceedings Begin?

Who Serves an Illinois Summons and Petition in a Family Law Matter?

What Information can be found in the Summons?

What if I Do Not Want to Accept the Summons?

Alternate Methods for Service of Process

What is a Default Order?

Can a Default Order be Vacated in Illinois Divorce of Family Law Case?

Be Proactive and Participate in Your Case

THIS ARTICLE WAS PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED AT: https://illinoislawforyou.com/illinois-divorce/served-divorce-papers-now-what/

When Everything Is On The Line, You Need An Attorney You Can Trust, That Will Advocate & Fight For Your Family! We Can Help!